"Look like a girl. Act like a lady. Think like a man. Work like a boss." ~Anonymous

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Unforgettable Moment

Author's Note: In this piece for my personal narrative I concentrating on telling the story by narrating it in a way that suggests I am looking back on the memory. I really concentrated on my introduction for this piece. Tell me what you think :)

Kindergarten was not only the kingdom of princesses and superheroes, but the one place where imagination knows no boundaries .  Our biggest worry back then was what color crayon to use in our picture; we were children, young and oblivious to the big world surrounding us.  We welcomed everyone with open arms because we had never been taught otherwise, never shown another way.  Enemies were nonexistent and bullies, unheard of.  Friends were easy to make, but as we grew older we learned they were not so easy to hold onto.  Sometimes, if you're lucky though, one friend comes into your life not only for a short period of time, they come into your life to stay. That moment when I met that friend for me, is a moment that I will never forget.

It was the first day of kindergarten and I was a jumble of nerves.  Being the shy kid I was I kept to myself following basic guidelines like never raising my hand in class.  School wasn't something I was used to, and I wasn't the type to embrace change with open arms.  Shakily I made my way into class and sat down where my name tag was.  My mouth never opened once not even to tell my teacher that I liked to be called “Cassie.”  When the teacher dismissed my class for recess, I wasn't sure what to do, so I remember aimlessly following the other kids to the playground.  The brisk cold made me shudder, and in result I pulled my jacket tighter around my body and my hat farther down my head, pushing my blonde bangs to the point where they almost covered my eyes.  Only one thought occupied my mind: I needed a friend.  

A group of girls I recognized from class had already gathered in a huddle, discussing who would be what character in their made up game of "kitty."  That's when I noticed another girl standing slightly outside the group, her wild black hair cropped above her shoulders, dancing in the wind.  My hands dug deeper into my pockets, as I made my way over to her. I recognized her,
her name was Kavitha, I thought.  Shyly, I piped up, "I'm Cassie."  "I'm Kavitha," she had responded, "Do you want to play with me?"  I nodded my head vigorously, unaware that this moment was the start of a friendship to last many years into the future.  


Slowly, we grew into a routine of sorts.  Meet up on the playground and play our own game.  It was always the same: witch.  Switching off between the witch and the good guy the idea was straight from a classic movie plot.  Evil tries to overtake good.  Running up and down climbing various obstacles, it was a constant chase; sometimes when evil did win, it would even involve cooking the other in her stew, much to the person’s avail. Everyday from then on we were inseparable and already in some ways already best friends, despite the small amount we actually knew about each other. We were all each other needed as far as friends go.  All that would come later, anyway, but now we were perfectly content just where we stood and still stand today.  

Life is a constant cycle: growing up, outgrowing our childish ways, and finding who we are.  All of us are constantly changing, though its subtle.  You can clearly agree that you aren’t the same person as you were in kindergarten, but can you pinpoint an exact date when this change occurred?   As little as I was at that time, I guess I had good character judgement or maybe it was pure luck, I can’t really say.  But I am sure of one thing, I am more than thankful that things turned out the way they did.  Over the years, I have experienced firsthand that as kids we don't always make the best choices, but becoming friends with Kavitha?  That was a choice I was proud of making.

2 comments:

  1. Aww... such a cute story. :)
    Anyway, your word choice in this piece was superb, your ideas were well developed, and your sentence fluency would have scored a 10... well, at least on my chart...
    The only thing that you might want to fix is the last paragraph, first sentence: ...and finding who we ARE. That's the only thing I would change about this piece... All in all, great job! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it :) Probably because...you know I was in it, but you're an amazing writer! Like Erika said, your ideas were well developed, and everything just felt complete. I loved your introduction, it brought me into it..like that! Overall, I'd say this was one of the best pieces I have ever read! :D

    ReplyDelete